Best Places to Visit in Taiwan
Taiwan is a magical country that always boasts about serene landscapes and breathtaking mountains that give you the feel of living life in the lap of nature. Here you can experience the perfect blend of traditional heritage along with modern lifestyle thereby keeping you excited throughout your tour. Here we have listed some of the top things to do and best places to visit in Taiwan to add an element to spice to your vacation:
- Kaohsiung: Kaohsiung is a lively and energized town, something to be enjoyed by everyone, and it is one of the best places to visit in Taiwan for tourists as well as residents. The third most populated city and trade and industry have ensured a broad range of people, cultures, and communities, as well as being a marine and industrial center of the country, and this is reflected in the wonderful cuisine available. It is a terrific spot to perform outdoor activities with great weather all year round and lovely scenery, and both walking and mountain biking will take tourists to many of the greatest sights. Moreover, Kaohsiung has several historical places.
- Wulai: Wulai is a home for Atayals and is well known across Taiwan for its thermal springs, located in the south of New Taipei. As such, it is a tourist city and many people are coming here to walk in the warm seas, learn about the great heritage of the natives and explore the environment. You may walk in the forests, fish the river, and camp in the wild while enjoying the beautiful landscape with a lot of open-air activities. Visitors may also purchase indigenous arts and crafts and taste some native delicacies for sale. Any visit to Wulai is the highlight of the thermal springs that are so plentiful. It is also one of the top places to visit in Taiwan.
- Kinmen Islands: This collection of islands is situated between Taiwan and China, and in 1949 they were renowned as the location of a fight between the nationalists and communists. With many beautiful landscapes to be found on the islands, it is sometimes referred to as the park of the sea, since so many luminous flowers, woods, and nature reserves are available for visitors and the National Park of Kinmen is the best tourist attraction in Taiwan. In Kinmen, there are plenty of historical structures. There are plenty of ancient and pleasant buildings to look at, and there are several beaches dotted throughout.
- Kenting National Park: In the south of Taiwan on the Hengchun Peninsula and regarded by many to be the earliest national park in the country, Kenting is one of the top tourist attractions of Taiwan. The beautiful beaches and the tropical environment make most of the visitor’s loads of beautiful sights available. Kenting is bathed in the lovely sunshine and is wonderful to discover and much of the flora and animals are on display. The huge Lighthouse of Eluanbi, which overlooks the area, is one of the must-see attractions. Kenting is also the venue for the famed Spring Scream Festival, a magnificent national park that attracts thousands of music enthusiasts each year.
- Alishan National Scenic Area: The Alishan National Scenic Area is a wild and beautiful spot that is quite mountainous, including 25 mountains at an altitude of two thousand meters or more. It’s a beautiful affair to explore the hills, valleys, cascades, and woods, which makes it one of the best places to see in Taiwan. Plenty of trails and walkways lead you to the greatest vistas. There are many. A wonderful method to visit several parks of the reserve is by taking the Alishan Forest Railway that snakes its way over woods and mountainsides before ending at Fenqihu, a beautiful town with the remnants of the Temple of Shinto.
- Lukang: The second oldest city on the island is a wonderful location to visit, and its great local cuisine and magnificent architecture are particularly well known. It formerly was a significant maritime port and trade hub in the northwest of the nation; however, its position has fallen for a long time. Fortunately, this made it possible to stay intact in its historical structures and to visit more than two hundred temples, Longshan and Matzu among the most popular. Architectural styles are displayed in a large number. The ox tongue cakes and oyster pancakes which are specialties in the region are among the foods that city tourists ought to taste.
- Tainan: This historic city was formerly the capital of imperial Taiwan and is worth a visit and visitors may experience many intriguing sights and cultural attractions. The Anping District, the ancient center of Tainan, is one of the popular tourist spots in Taiwan. The region includes several lovely ancient temples, and Fort Zeelandia was erected during the 17th century by the Netherlands East India Company. There are several big museums, such as the Museums of Chimei and Koxinga, and there is lots of wonderful shopping. Stop for some local food in the night markets.
- Taroko National Park: Taking the name from that of the magnificent gorge which flows through, and as such is well worth seeing in Taiwan, full of lovely environment and unbelievable vistas. The Taroko gorge is undoubtedly the centerpiece of the area, with its steep valleys, mountains, and other characteristics throughout the park, which has been spread over centuries and millennia along the meandering River Liwu. You may take a river rafting in the following minutes, walk through the canyons, and swim at Baiyang Waterfalls later that same day with a lot of excellent activities outside.
- Keelung Zhongzheng Park: The peculiar and calm tiny park, which has several smaller temples, shrines, courts, and sculptures is one of the top sites to visit in Keelung, Taiwan. The most notable is the 22-meter large figure of the Goddess of Mercy, Guanyin. The Zhuputan Temple, a colorful temple with complicated design patterns, is another key feature in the park. In the park, you’ll also find a folk museum that displays some traditional Taiwanese clothes.
- Taipei: Taiwan’s capital is a wonderful destination for travelers with a wealth of things to see and some of the best things to do in Taiwan. It not only constitutes the island’s political, economic, and cultural center, as the arts and culture are vibrant. It is a wonderful city to visit with an enticing blend of old and new in great food and awe-inspiring architecture. In the middle of the skyscrapers lie the ancient temples and Taipei 101, which was formerly the world’s highest structure.
- Yushan National Park: If you are a real nature lover then you will love the beauty and serenity of this one of the most charming tourist attractions in Taiwan. Here you can keep yourself busy in doing some of the most unique things to do in Taiwan that mainly include hiking, trekking and much more. Moreover, you can spot several mountains here that are as high as 3,000 meters. Don’t forget to visit one of the tallest island mountains of Taiwan here.
- Shifen Waterfall: It is recognized as a replica of Niagara Falls thereby making it one of the vital tourist destinations of Taiwan. It is situated in lush green and amazing landscape which is a real treat to watch. Just next to the waterfall, you can spot Shifen village where you can enjoy a lantern display during the evening time. If you are searching for some of the natural places to visit in Taiwan then you must check Shifen waterfall.
- Longshan Temple: If you want to see the spiritual side of Taiwan then simply head to Longshan Temple. As soon as you enter this place, you will come across an artistic wooden interior and the pleasing aroma of incense sticks. There are several myths surrounding this temple as it helps you to find a solution to your problem after performing a very small activity.
- Sun Moon Lake: Situated only a couple of hours from Taipei city, it is considered as the most amazing destination to visit in Taiwan. The lake is surrounded by an amazing forest and several exhibits of old handicrafts and weapons. If you are planning a family holiday then this is an ideal location where you can spot several resorts and hotels. All these reasons make Sun Moon Lake one of the top places to visit in Taiwan all around the year.
- Rainbow Village: It is an extraordinary street display that is considered as a vital ingredient of Taiwan tourism. If you love exploring local art then you will love this place that symbolizes the typical culture of Taiwan. Here you can spot several colorful patterns and designs of birds and animals thereby creating a true masterpiece. No wonder, Rainbow village is one of the top tourist attractions of Taiwan that is recommended by every travel guide.
- Shilin Night Market: If you are a shopaholic or a food aficionado then you will love spending maximum time here. After sunset, you can visit the night market to taste some of the mouth-watering delicacies which are made from local ingredients. Apart from arcade games, vintage cassettes and local artifacts, you will spot several creative items that you can purchase for a good bargain. Don’t forget to carry some of these items as a souvenir with you to revive memories of your tour again and again.
Visit a Taiwanese Teahouse, check out the Northern Coastline, Hit the Beaches, soak in the Hot Springs, Go, Island Hopping, See Old Taiwan, Explore the Green Mountains, Go Hiking in Taroko National Park, Witness Some Chaos, Explore Fo Guang Shan Monastery are the top 10 things to do in Taiwan.
What’s next waiting for you?
Taiwan is more than just a tourist destination. It is a holiday paradise that welcomes every traveler with open hands. Now you know where to go and what to do in Taiwan, go ahead and pack your bags. So if you are planning a tour to some of the best places to visit near Taiwan then don’t miss browsing through our Asia travel guides to make your journey memorable.