Guidelines for Foreign Students Applying To Study in China
With the continuous improvement of China’s comprehensive national power and the great development of Chinese higher education, especially since the release of the “One Belt, One Road” strategy, China has made significant breakthroughs in the policy of supporting students studying in China and granting scholarships to foreign students, such as promoting the “One Belt, One Road” education initiative, establishing the “One Belt, One Road” university alliance, signing bilateral agreements and mutual recognition of degrees, and establishing “Silk Road” Chinese government scholarships. China has made significant breakthroughs in supporting policies and scholarships for international students, such as promoting the “One Belt, One Road” education initiative, establishing the “One Belt, One Road” university alliance, signing bilateral agreements and mutual recognition of degrees, and establishing the “Silk Road” Chinese government scholarships. More and more foreign young people are willing to study in China to get to know and experience China on the ground. China is not only progressing in terms of economy, culture and social development. The same is true for academic knowledge and higher education. China is gradually building up a whole chain of equipment system in terms of enrollment and teaching management, scholarship system, medical insurance system and emergency management system for studying in China. This is also a point that our Chinese students studying abroad deserve to be confident!
According to the statistics released by the Ministry of Education, 492,000 international students from 196 countries and regions studied in 1,004 universities and research institutions in China in 2018. With the promotion of China’s “One Belt, One Road” policy, the number of international students in China has increased a lot, and by 2020, the number of international students in China will exceed 500,000. Visit www.visexpress.com if you need assistance with China student visa.
So, here comes the question that everyone is concerned about
01 What are the requirements for foreign students to study in China?
The most famous universities in China, such as Tsinghua University, Peking University, Nankai University and Fudan University, and made the following simple summary (each university is slightly different, refer to the official website of the university for details).
1、Requirements for foreigners to come to China for undergraduate study: have a degree equivalent to a senior high school graduation in China, be aged 18~25 years old (according to the requirements of the specific school applied for), and be admitted to the university for undergraduate study for four to six years.
2、The applicant must be a citizen of a country other than Chinese nationality, hold a valid foreign passport, be in good health, be of good conduct, and abide by the laws and regulations of the Chinese government and the rules and regulations of the school.
3、If once a Chinese citizen, now a foreign immigrant, has acquired a foreign nationality status, a valid certificate of renunciation of Chinese nationality status is required.
Residents of mainland China (Mainland China), Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan who have immigrated to a foreign country as international student applicants must acquire foreign nationality and cancel their Chinese nationality by April 30, 2016, and have a record of actual residence abroad for at least 2 years from April 30, 2016 to April 30, 2020 (actual residence abroad for 9 months in a year can be counted as one year, based on entry and exit stamps), according to the Ministry of Education
Applicants who acquired foreign nationality at the time of birth in a foreign country and both parents were Chinese citizens at the time of birth, or one parent was a Chinese citizen, in accordance with the relevant provisions of Article 5 of the Nationality Law of the People’s Republic of China
4. HSK (Chinese Proficiency Test) Level 6 with a score of 180 and a vocabulary of 5,000 Chinese words is required.
The HSK is designed and developed by the Chinese Proficiency Test Center of Beijing Language and Culture University and includes the Basic Chinese Proficiency Test (abbreviated as HSK (Basic)), the Elementary and Intermediate Chinese Proficiency Test (abbreviated as HSK (Elementary and Intermediate) and the Advanced Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK). HSK (Basic), HSK (Elementary and Intermediate), and HSK (Advanced), which is held regularly every year in China and overseas. The Chinese Ministry of Education has established the National Chinese Proficiency Test Committee, which has full authority to lead the Chinese Proficiency Test and issue the Chinese Proficiency Certificate. At present, there are 860 test centers for the Chinese Proficiency Test worldwide, including 530 overseas test centers in 112 countries and 330 domestic test centers in 71 cities.
5、A letter of admission issued by the university in China.
6、Applicants for master’s degree must have a bachelor’s degree; applicants for doctoral degree must
The applicant must have a master’s degree, and the recipient of a bachelor’s degree can also apply for a doctoral degree in science and technology directly.
7、 The original and a copy of the “Visa Application Form for Foreign Students Coming to China” (Form JW201 or JW202) issued by the relevant unit in China (both documents are also required for those who apply for short-term study or further training and stay in China for not more than 6 months)
02 Application documents for foreign students to study in China
1、Fill out and submit the Application Form for Foreign Students to Study in China printed by the Commission.
2. Strictly carry out physical examination according to the items listed in the Health Certificate printed by the Commission and provide the official health certificate from the hospital; those who fail to pass the examination cannot come to China. If you find that you do not meet our health standards after coming to China, you should return to your home country within one month and pay for your own travel expenses.
3、Copies of relevant academic documents and transcripts with notarized English or French translations.
4、In addition to the documents required for 1, 2 and 3, advanced students applying for the art program should also provide letters of recommendation from two teachers with qualifications of associate professor or above. And provide the following materials of myself.
Those who study art history should submit the relevant essay; those who study music should submit a 30-minute recording of vocal or instrumental performance; those who study art should submit three works or six color photos of their works; those who study composition should submit one work.
5. Undergraduate students applying for art majors should submit the same application materials as advanced students, except that they are exempted from submitting letters of recommendation from teachers. Those who study art history should submit a review or an article about art, and are exempt from submitting an essay.
03 Application Process
1、Login the school where you need to apply, fill out and submit the Application Form for Foreign Students to Study in China printed by the Commission online.
2、Submit the application documents to the enrolled school by courier or other means (Take Peking University as an example below)
1) Application Form for Admission of International Students to Pre-University of Peking University Submit and print the application form, sign and paste photos after successful online application.
2) Original high school graduation or pre-graduation certificate, if the original is not in Chinese or English, a Chinese or English translation must be submitted at the same time, and the translation must be notarized by an authoritative notary or embassy in the country.
(3) Original high school transcript, if the original is not in Chinese or English, a Chinese or English translation must be submitted at the same time, and the translation must be notarized by an authoritative notary or embassy in the country of residence.
4）Personal statement (please click to download the template: personal statement, please fill in Chinese or English).
5) 2 letters of recommendation, one of which must be from your high school lecturer or class teacher, and the other can be from a recommender of your choice, no rank requirement.
6) A copy of your passport, which must be an ordinary passport valid beyond July 2021.
7) Application fee of RMB 400 (please pay directly in the online application system; applications without application fee will not be accepted; application fee is non-refundable regardless of acceptance or rejection).
8) Applicants who have studied in China from elementary school to high school, please fill in the application documents clearly and submit transcripts (copies are sufficient) from the period of study in China.
9) Non-required documents: including but not limited to SAT/IB/A-Level/ACT transcripts, transcripts from your home country’s college entrance exams, proof of awards, HSK transcripts, other proof of Chinese language proficiency, etc. that are deemed helpful to your application (copies are sufficient).
3、Wait for the school review notice
4、Applicants who pass the application review will be accepted to take the comprehensive test. The method and time of the comprehensive test will be notified in advance.
5、Wait for the admission notice.
If you are looking for more such useful travel and visa related tips then check our other travel guides.