Best Places to Visit in Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka feels proud about its rich culture, historical landscapes and extraordinary heritage sites. Despite affected by the civil war for over 25 years, the country has successfully maintained its mark of a popular tourist destination. Though Sri Lanka is very small in size, it offers you an opportunity to explore several key places within small distance. Here you have highlighted some of the best places in Sri Lanka that you shouldn’t miss visiting:
Key Highlights of Sri Lanka
- Yala National Park: Sri Lanka is blessed with wide range of flora and fauna. Yala National Park is perfect example of this fact as it features highest number of leopards of the world. Moreover, it is also a place where you can spot several aquatic birds, elephants, crocodiles, monkeys and much more.
- Bentota: It is one of the very famous coastal towns in Sri Lanka where you can explore pristine beaches, lavish hotels, waterfalls and magnificent beauty of coconut trees. Since last few years, it has been listed in most visited tourist spots in the country. Moreover, Bentota offers you an opportunity to participate in wide range of water sports activities including a helicopter ride above the sea.
- Dambulla: Located very close to Colombo, Dambulla has received the recognition of popular world heritage site in country. It offers you lot of options to explore including Rangiri Stadium, ironwood forest, Uyana Aranya and Rose Quartz Mountain. If you want to know about religious history of Sri Lanka then a visit to Dambulla Cave Temple is must.
- Kandy: This is one of the magnificent destinations in country that is situated on plateau. Kandy is surrounded by diverse range of misty mountains that welcome tourists from all corners of the world. It is also known as a world heritage site and if you want to explore anything about Sinhalese culture then this is a place to be. It is highly recommended to visit this destination during Esala Perahera festival.
- Arugam Bay: If you want to enjoy surfing on fantastic sea waters of Sri Lanka then visit Arugam Bay. This remote location provides lot of opportunity to relax on the beach to enjoy ultimate peace of mind. Moreover, if you are done exploring beach site, you can also plan to visit nearby temples and national park available.
- Kitulgala: It is another secluded place in Sri Lanka where you can enjoy water rafting and swimming.You can also spot some harmless and warm fishes occasionally jumping above the water which is a rare view to capture in camera. It is also a place where you can see exotic birds flying above the sea water and creating unique patterns. This eco-friendly place is also home to wide range of flora and fauna.
Sri Lanka is one of the rare islands in the world which is packed with several natural jewels that you can’t find anywhere else. The people of this eco-friendly country are very cordial and they welcome visitors with open hands. If you are planning to visit this country any time soon then you can consider visiting it any period during the year except monsoon season.