Best places to stay in Sicily
Sicily in the Mediterranean Sea is one of the most beautiful places, with its stunning coastlines, ancient ruins, vibrant cities, and delicious cuisine. It is a perfect destination for those looking for a mix of history, culture, and relaxation.
With so many incredible options, choosing where to stay when in Sicily can be overwhelming. We have compiled the best places to stay on Sicily.
Where is Sicily Located?
Sicily is in the Central Mediterranean Sea, the largest Mediterranean island separated from the mainland by the Messina narrow Strait. To the north of Sicily lies the Tyrrhenian Sea, while to the east is the Ionian Sea. The island is also situated approximately 160 km northeast of Tunisia in northern Africa.
How to Get to Sicily from Italy?
The easiest way to get to Sicily from Italy is by flight. The nearest airport to Sicily is Catania-Fontanarossa Airport, which has flights from all major cities in Italy. You can also take a ferry from Naples, Salerno, or Reggio Calabria to Palermo, Messina, or Catania.
Best time to visit Sicily
The best time for visiting Sicily is between April and October, when the temperatures are mild and the chances of rainfall are lower. It is the peak tourist season, and the island is bustling with activities and events. However, if you prefer fewer crowds, then November to March is also an excellent time to visit. The climate in Sicily is generally mild, but December and January are the wettest months, while June through August is the driest.
List of Best Places to Stay in Sicily
Taormina is on the island’s eastern coast. It is a charming hilltop town offering spectacular sea views and Mount Etna. Taormina has something for everyone for a romantic getaway, family vacation, or solo adventure.
Taormina is among the best areas to stay in Sicily. There are plenty of options for accommodation in Taormina, from luxurious 5 star hotels in Sicily Italy, like the Belmond Grand Hotel Timeo and the San Domenico Palace Hotel, to more affordable options like bed and breakfasts and self-catering apartments. There are many best resorts to stay in Sicily all inclusive, offering an unforgettable holiday experience.
Taormina has many attractions, making it one of the best places to visit on Sicily. The town is home to ancient Greek ruins such as the Teatro Antico di Taormina. The historic Corso Umberto is also a must-visit with its many shops, restaurants, and gelato stands. For beach lovers, Isola Bella is one of the most beautiful places in Sicily you must visit it is just a short walk from Taormina.
If you have 7 days in Sicily itinerary, consider spending a few days in Taormina. You can take day trips to other Sicilian destinations like Syracuse and Mount Etna from here. A trip to Sicily from Italy would not be complete without visiting Taormina.
Taormina is a breathtaking destination and is among the best places to visit in Sicily. It has stunning views, ancient history, and luxurious accommodations. Whether looking for relaxation or adventure, you will find it all in this charming hilltop town.
Cefalu is among the best places to stay for a relaxing and peaceful holiday in Sicily. Located on the northern coast of Sicily, this charming town combines beautiful scenery with a rich cultural heritage.
Cefalu is among the best Sicily places to visit for its stunning beaches, crystal-clear waters, and beautiful landscapes.
The town boasts a long sandy beach perfect for sunbathing, swimming, or simply strolling along the shore. The sea views from the town are breathtaking to relax and unwind.
Apart from the beach, Cefalu offers plenty of other attractions, including historic landmarks, picturesque streets, and a vibrant food scene. Cefalu Cathedral is one of the most famous landmarks. The town’s narrow streets have quaint shops, cafes, and restaurants where you can taste traditional Sicilian cuisine.
The Aeolian Islands, known for their volcanic landscapes and crystal-clear waters, can be easily reached from Cefalu by boat. Additionally, the historic city of Palermo, with its beautiful architecture and lively street markets, is only an hour’s drive away.
Cefalu offers a wide range of options for accommodation, from luxurious 5-star hotels to cozy guesthouses and apartments. There are also several all-inclusive resorts to relax and enjoy the holiday without worrying about anything else.
Palermo is one of the best places to stay in Sicily if you want a mix of history, culture, and great food. Located on the north-western coast of Sicily, Palermo is the capital city and a hub of activity.
The Cathedral of Palermo is a must-visit, as it is an architectural masterpiece that dates back to the 12th century. Another iconic landmark is the Norman Palace, which houses the famous Cappella Palatina, a chapel adorned with stunning Byzantine mosaics.
Palermo is also famous for lively street markets, such as the Vucciria Market and the Ballarò Market, to find everything from fresh produce to souvenirs. The city’s vibrant food scene combines traditional Sicilian flavors with influences from Arab, Greek, and Spanish cuisine.
Palermo offers a range of options for accommodation to suit different budgets and preferences. Luxurious 5-star hotels, including the Grand Hotel Villa Igiea, provide panoramic sea views and a private beach. There are also many affordable guesthouses and apartments in the city center.
You must include Palermo if you plan a 7-day itinerary for your trip to Sicily from Italy. Apart from the historic landmarks and markets, several beautiful beaches are nearby, such as Mondello and Addaura. You can also explore nearby towns, including Monreale, which has a stunning cathedral with gold mosaics, and Cefalu, known for its charming old town and beautiful beaches.
Palermo is one of the best places to stay in Sicily to experience this beautiful island’s history, culture, and flavors. Whether you are looking for a luxury hotel or a cozy guesthouse, there is something for everyone in this vibrant city.
Agrigento is on Sicily’s south coast. The town is famous for its Valley of the Temples, a UNESChttps://www.unesco.org/enO World Heritage Site, and one of unique archaeological sites and best places to visit in Italy.This area has several accommodation options, including luxurious 5-star hotels such as Villa Athena and Colleverde Park Hotel, which offer panoramic views and excellent amenities.
Apart from the Valley of the Temples, Agrigento has many other attractions. The old town is a narrow streets maze and alleyways dotted with charming cafes and restaurants serving traditional Sicilian cuisine. One of the most beautiful places in Agrigento is the Monastery of Santo Spirito, is home to a beautiful art museum.
Apart from the Valley of the Temples, several other sites are worth exploring, such as the Scala deiTurchi, a stunning white cliff that overlooks the sea, and the Torre Salsa Nature Reserve, home to a beautiful beach and several hiking trails. Agrigento is one of the best places to stay in Sicily if you want to immerse yourself in the island’s rich history and culture.
Syracuse is among the best places to stay in Sicily to experience history, culture, and natural beauty. Ortigia, the historical center of Syracuse, is among the best places to see in Sicily and is home to many of the city’s main attractions, including the Piazza del Duomo, the Fountain of Arethusa, and the Temple of Apollo. The area is also known for its charming streets with cafes, restaurants, and artisan shops.
Syracuse offers a range of accommodation options to suit different budgets and preferences. Several luxurious 5-star hotels, such as the Grand Hotel Ortigia and the AlgilaOrtigiaCharme Hotel, offer stunning sea views and excellent amenities. There are also many more affordable guesthouses and apartments in the area, making it easy to find something that suits your needs.
Several sites, such as the Neapolis Archaeological Park, are worth exploring, home to many ancient ruins, including the Greek Theatre and the Roman Amphitheatre. The area is also known for its beautiful beaches, such as Fontane Bianche and Vendicari Nature Reserve.
Syracuse is among the best places to stay in Sicily to experience the island’s history, culture, and natural beauty. Whether you are interested in ancient architecture or want to relax and enjoy the Mediterranean lifestyle, there is something for everyone.
Top things to do in Sicily Italy
- The Valley of the Temples, located near Agrigento, is one of Italy’s most important archaeological sites. It is home to several Greek temples, including the Temple of Concordia, considered one of the best-preserved ancient temples in the world.
- Trekking up Mount Etna is among the most exciting and top Sicily things to do. As an active volcano and the tallest peak in Sicily, Mount Etna offers breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside. The trek up the volcano is challenging but rewarding.
- Sicilian cuisine is renowned for its rich flavors and fresh ingredients, including seafood, pasta, and pastries. Be sure to try some traditional dishes, such as arancini and cannoli.
- Sicily, an island in the Mediterranean Sea, boasts numerous stunning beaches perfect for relaxation and recreation. San Vito Lo Capo, Mondello, and Cefalù are some of the most sought-after destinations. San Vito Lo Capo is on the island’s northwest coast and has crystal-clear water, soft golden sand, and a charming seaside village with plenty of cafés and restaurants serving freshly caught fish.
- The Aeolian Islands are a group of seven volcanic islands located in the Tyrrhenian Sea north of Sicily. These islands are famous for their unique and stunning landscapes, with crystal-clear waters that attract visitors worldwide. One of the most popular activities on the Aeolian Islands is taking a boat tour to explore the islands and experience their natural beauty up close. During these tours, you can visit sites like Stromboli, an active volcano considered one of Italy’s most spectacular sights.
- The Baroque towns of Noto, Modica, and Ragusa are located in the south-eastern region of Sicily and are among the most beautiful and well-preserved examples of baroque architecture in the world. The towns are renowned for their charming streets lined with elegant palaces, churches, and other public buildings adorned with intricate facades, ornate balustrades, and elaborate sculptures.
- Villa Romana del Casale is an ancient Roman villa situated about 3 km from the charming town of Piazza Armerina in Sicily. The villa is a magnificent example of Roman architecture and interior design. The villa boasts one of the world’s largest and most intricate collections of ancient mosaics. These Roman mosaics are considered some of the most beautiful and well-preserved, with intricate designs and incredible color schemes that have survived for centuries.
- Zingaro Nature Reserve, also known as RiservadelloZingaro, is a picturesque protected coastal area on the northwest coast of Sicily. This nature reserve is one of Sicily’s most beautiful and unique places to visit, renowned for its abundant biodiversity and scenic beauty. The reserve offers visitors a range of activities, including hiking trails that wind through rugged terrain and provide stunning views of the surrounding coastline.
Which is nearest airport to Sicily Italy?
The nearest airport to Sicily is Palermo Airport (PMO), also known as Falcone-Borsellino Airport. It is about 35 km northwest of Palermo, the capital city of Sicily. Other nearby airports include Catania Fontanarossa International Airport (CTA), Trapani-Birgi Airport (TPS), and Comiso Airport (CIY).
Final Words on places to stay in Sicily Italy
Sicily is a beautiful island that offers visitors a range of options for accommodation, from the most luxurious 5-star hotels to all-inclusive resorts. Whether you want to explore the ancient ruins of Agrigento or indulge in some retail therapy in Taormina, there are plenty of things to do in Sicily that cater to all tastes and interests.
Sicily has a rich history, stunning landscapes, and a warm Mediterranean climate. So book your tickets today and prepare for an unforgettable trip to this fascinating island! Check out our other travel guide to know top things to do in Italy.